Convicted child sexual assault defendant Charles Clayton-Jones of Rock Springs was in the presence of children in violation of his release on bond
several times over the last two years while his case was making its way through the courts, the Sauk County prosecutor is charging.
Clayton-Jones, 42, a descendant of Baraboo's famous Ringling brothers, appeared in Sauk County Circuit Court Wednesday to face 10 new counts of bail jumping. Each count could result in a $10,000 fine and up to six years in prison if he is convicted the counts and are added to five counts filed against him in July.
Until July, Clayton-Jones had been free on bond while allegations he sexually abused a 10-year-old boy in the summer of 2006 worked their way through the court system. Then, Sauk County District Attorney Patricia Barrett charged he has been with three different boys while other adults were present at the Ringling family mansion on Eighth Street in Baraboo and at a Dells-are water park.
Clayton-Jones' contacts with the boys included behavior she said was characteristic of grooming young victims for sexual abuse. Barrett did not allege he committed new sexual assaults.
One of the conditions of Clayton-Jones' release on bond was that he have absolutely no contact with anyone under 18 years old.
The new charges filed Sept. 30 allege Clayton Jones was present at events with children in October 2006, April 2008 and June or July of 2008, according to court records. The events took place at rural Baraboo homes and also involved Clayton-Jones taking children on tours of the Ringling Mansion in Baraboo.
Adults were present during the incidents and Barrett does not allege Clayton-Jones committed any new sexual assaults.
When Clayton-Jones was arrested for bail jumping in July, Sauk County deputies searched his home and found items that indicate he may have been be planning to flee the country. They included computer scans of his driver's license with an altered name and a new British passport.
Clayton-Jones has joint American and British citizenship, but was ordered to surrender all his travel documents to the Sauk County Sheriff's Department when he was originally charged with child sexual assault in September 2006. Barrett said he told British officials he lost or misplaced his British passport, rather than revealing he surrendered it as part of criminal proceedings.
During Wednesday's hearing Clayton-Jones was scheduled to return to court next on the bail jumping counts Nov. 11. He is also due to be sentenced for his original sexual assault conviction on that date.
Clayton-Jones continues to be held at the Sauk County Law Enforcement Center, according to jail staff.