Vegas Tropicana

A convention meeting room at the Tropicana Hotel in Las Vegas became a waiting area for concertgoers and other witnesses from Sunday's mass shooting in Las Vegas, according to Portage Police Officer Dennis Pomeroy. He said sheets, towels and blankets and even the mattress pads were used to cover the people, and there was a triage area in the basement.

A Beaver Dam woman was near the site of Sunday night’s horrific mass shooting in Las Vegas and had to take cover in a nearby hotel restaurant.

Kristin Fabisch was in Las Vegas for a birthday party with a large group of family and friends from the Beaver Dam and Juneau area. She and her group were staying at the MGM Grand, just two properties up from where the Route 91 Harvest music festival was being held.

“We had tried to get tickets to the concert but couldn’t,” said Fabisch, the financial development director at the YMCA of Dodge County.

Just after 10 p.m., a shooter opened fire on concert-goers from his hotel room at Mandalay Bay, across the street from the open-air venue. At least 59 people were killed and more than 500 wounded in the deadliest mass shooting in American history.

Fabisch’s group was eating dinner at one of the restaurants in the MGM when the shooting took place.

“The shooting started at 10:08 p.m. We didn’t know anything until about 10:20 p.m.,” Fabisch said. “A large group of people came running in. They were freaking out and screaming and yelling that there was a shooter.

“We ran into an office in the kitchen until it was safe. We were barricaded in there for about 20 minutes. The hotel was put on lockdown and we stayed in our rooms the rest of the night.”

Information was scattered in the immediate aftermath, with some reports suggesting there were multiple shooters. But authorities confirmed that a 64-year-old Nevada man, who killed himself before police entered his hotel room, was the lone gunman.

“At about 1:30 a.m. Vegas time, we knew there was only one shooter and that he was dead,” Fabisch said. “It was so terrifying, but we could relax a little then.”

Fabisch said a friend of her sister’s was at the concert.

“She didn’t find out until today that her friend was OK,” Fabisch said Monday. “My sister went out this morning and said that things were very quiet on the Strip.”

Fabisch and her friends and family are coming back home on their regularly scheduled flight Tuesday. She said she travels to Las Vegas maybe every other year.

“At first I just wanted to come home right away,” she said, but added it won’t keep her from returning to Las Vegas in the future.

“No one knows when something like this is going to happen and it could happen anywhere. The guy was shooting over a half-mile away from above and was across the street. You can’t predict that.”