JUNEAU – A 20-year-old Beaver Dam man made his initial appearance Thursday after being charged with multiple burglaries and thefts.

Donny J. Lafferty, 314 ½ N. Spring St., was charged with three counts of burglary of a building or dwelling as a repeat offender, criminal damage to property as a repeat offender, two counts of operating a motor vehicle without the owners consent as a repeat offender, possession of narcotic drugs as a repeat offender, possession of burglarious tools as a repeat offender, obstructing an officer as a repeat offender, possession of a switchblade knife as a repeat offender, carrying a concealed weapon as a repeat offender and five counts of misdemeanor bail jumping as a repeat offender.

If convicted, he faces up to 86-and-a-half years of imprisonment.

According to the criminal complaint, deputies were called to a building on South Center Road at 4:14 a.m. on Feb. 8 for a report of a break-in. On the way to the building, a deputy noticed a truck in the ditch. The deputy stopped, but the truck was empty, so the deputy noted the location and continued to the building. A glass door on the building was shattered and there were items missing. The deputy noted that tire tracks around the building were similar to the tires on the truck he had seen in the ditch.

The complaint states that another deputy went back to check and found several of the stolen items in the back of the truck. When officers contacted the owner of the truck, he stated that it had been parked at the man’s repair shop and no one had permission to drive it that night. He said he regularly left the keys in it. The man was able to pull up surveillance video where they saw a man, later identified as Lafferty, carrying a pry bar and attempting to get into the repair shop.

According to the complaint, police believe that after Lafferty became stuck in the ditch, he left on foot, walking around several residences and outbuildings. While officers were following Lafferty’s tracks, a man stopped them to report that his vehicle was missing. The vehicle, a 2002 Chevy Suburban, had been left unlocked with the keys in it. The same style footprints were found at the repair shop and at the residence that the Suburban was stolen from.

The complaint states that a detective was called for a burglary at a shop on Highway 33 while officers were attempting to locate the stolen Suburban. The shop was entered when he broke in through a window. Detectives also found a pry bar and a pair of bolt cutters on the scene that the building owner said did not belong to anyone there. A torch and welder leads were taken from that shop.

According to the complaint, officers were comparing evidence when they were notified that a business on Crystal Lake Road had been broken into. A safe was damaged and an unspecified amount of money was taken. Officers were able to track Lafferty’s footprints to the Wal-Mart parking lot. The man was seen sitting in Wal-Mart for a while before going to speak to an employee at Subway. Officers spoke to the employee, who identified the man as Lafferty. She said that Lafferty had been waiting for his girlfriend to pick him up.

The complaint states that officers were able to get a photo of the vehicle Lafferty left in. Officers went to speak with the owner of the vehicle, who said that Lafferty was living there, but kept odd hours. Lafferty called the police later, wanting to know why they were looking for him, but refused to meet with officers.

According to the complaint, an officer was parked on South Center Street on Feb. 27 at 2:05 a.m. when a mini-van that appeared to be going at a high rate of speed caught his attention. The driver parked the vehicle and began walking, carrying a duffel bag. When he saw the officer, he ran. The officer caught the man, who was identified as Lafferty, with a pair of bolt cutters in his hand. Officers also found two pairs of gloves, a cell phone, a list of electrical businesses, two pry bars, a switchblade, two Roxicodone pills and other items in the duffel bag.

The complaint states that Lafferty told officers that he knew he was in trouble and that he had a prescription drug addiction. He said his girlfriend had nothing to do with it, and he had never told her what he was doing.

He was given a $25,000 cash bond. A review hearing is scheduled for March 6.

More from WiscNews

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

Post a comment