Mark Walters pike

Mark Walters caught a pair of 31-inch northern pike during his three-day trip to Green Bay.

Hello friends,

Since early August, I have been looking forward to a simple trip on Green Bay, where I would troll with two lines for walleye, and one for musky. I would camp on a friend’s remote property in the Suamico area and kind of wish I was hunting ducks as well.

Wednesday, Oct. 18

High 73, low 45

Strong winds made me feel a little better about running late this afternoon, as I did not arrive at the public boat landing until about 4:30 p.m. My plan for the start of this trip was to load the boat with gear, and once I hit the bay, I would troll until I reached the area where I planned on camping.

My lure of choice would be Flicker Shads and Flicker Minnows for walleye. For the muskies, I would use a 14-inch lure called a Mattlock, that looks exactly like a walleye and has been getting a lot of respect from musky fishermen.

The Mattlock costs about $90, and I won mine in a raffle. I think it will work awesome on my annual Canadian fishing trip.

About the time I was trolling, and the waves were letting go, I had to build camp, as day was becoming night. That was somewhat hard to take, as I could hear my comrades with shotguns having fun shooting at ducks.

My golden retriever Fire was my companion, and it honestly felt like a mid-August camping trip because it was so warm out.

Thursday, Oct. 19

High 75, low 52

The boat left camp at 7:00 this morning and did not return until 7:00 this evening. I could hear duck hunters passing camp at 4:30 as they motored out for a morning of watching the skies.

With an almost perfect weather forecast, I was really excited for a day of catching a limit of walleye and a few musky between 40-55 inches.

My informant had told me to fish The University Bay area of Green Bay, so that is what I did, along with maybe a half a dozen other boats.

When I left camp, I had almost made the huge mistake of leaving my 18.6 War Eagle in too shallow of water. The water on Green Bay rises and lowers according to the wind direction, and I was almost very seriously stuck, as I have been in the past.

I was trolling for about four hours and thinking I was going to start catching fish any minute. I had yet to see any other boats use their nets when a big fish hit my purple Flicker Shad. For a good five minutes I drifted with the wind and could not budge my monster, and then, just like that, it got away.

An hour later I had another hit and caught a 31-inch northern pike. Long story short, I never gave up hope, changed lures, checked lines and put the pike and a stripped bass in the boat after 12 hours on the water.

Friday, Oct. 20

High 80, low 53

Another four hours were spent in the boat this morning. There were a lot of boats on the water and I did not see a fish caught besides another 31-inch northern that came into mine.

At about 1 p.m. I was breaking camp and I saw a boat stop out on the big water. The anchor was dropped and its occupants began swimming. I have never seen anyone swim in Wisconsin on October 20th, unless it was not by choice on Wisconsin’s waters.

I wrote a month ago, that along with many family members, I have been spending some time down in Louisiana helping take care of my brother Bob Walters, who is fighting cancer. Bob lost his fight this past week, and about all I can say about losing a brother is that all of the sudden there is a big empty hole in your life that only time will help heal.

Green Bay, whether the fish were biting or not, was a perfect place to go and just think and enjoy nature and the challenge of living on the big water.