Subscribe for 33¢ / day

1968

The three barbershops in Columbus; Gavinski’s, Lischka’s, and Salzwedel’s announced new prices for haircuts with men’s haircuts at $2 and children’s $1.50. All Saturday haircuts would increase to $2.

Rev. Harry Greuel has come from Peoria, Illinois to become the new pastor of the Church of the Nazarene in Columbus.

1978

Columbus Fireman’s Park has a new addition to the deer pen, a four-month-old buck named “Fred.” Fred was acquired from Silver Springs Campground in Rio where Fred grew up around campers after the death of the fawn’s mother. With the deer hunting approaching it was feared a tame Fred would have been an easy target for hunters.

The Columbus Amvet Post 74 held its third and final “Flea Day” at Fireman’s Park with a selection of fall foods, flowers, antiques, and “junque.”

1988

Gov. Tommy Thompson will attend a ceremony held at the State Capitol to launch the new Wisconsin State Lottery.

Mike and Krisann O’Brien served as co-chairman for the 1988-89 United Community Fund Drive that has a goal of raising $18,000. United Fund Board of Directors included Fred Lueders, Ruth Nordal, Shelia Hays, Clair Sampolinski, Frank Statz, Al Abrams, Victor Barth, Deborah Chase, Doug Caldwell, and Betty Schubert.

1998

Farmers & Merchants Union Bank neared the completion of the historic façade restoration. The bank was designed and built in 1919 by Louis Sullivan, who was Frank Lloyd Wright’s mentor. Behind the scaffolding that was up for most of the summer was tuck-pointing and repairing the terra cotta trim.

The 46th annual Bethesda Country Fair, over a three-day run, will be held at the Dodge County Fairgrounds.

Follow us on our Facebook page: Columbus, WI Area Historical Society or email us at columbusareahistory@gmail.com.