Subscribe for 33¢ / day
Pat Lynch
Pat Lynch

JUNEAU - Former Fox Lake Police Chief Patrick Lynch will appear in Dodge County Circuit Court today on charges that he sexually assaulted a 7-year-old girl and stalked three people.

Attorney General J.B. Van Hollen announced Wednesday that the Wisconsin Department of Justice filed a felony complaint against Lynch and he was arrested.

Lynch is charged with one count of sexual assault and three counts of stalking.

Lynch resigned from the Fox Lake Police Department in February 2009, after 23 years as chief of police. His years as chief weren't without controversy. In 2008, he served a four-day suspension from the police department following an incident that prompted one of the charges filed on Wednesday.

The sexual assault claim is from 1989. According to the criminal complaint, a 28-year-old woman, said when she was 7 years old, Lynch sexually assaulted her in the bathroom of her family's home. She reported Lynch was a friend of her father and was wearing his police uniform when the assault occurred.

The second count he is being charged with is stalking. The same woman reported that when she was in high school, Lynch would wait in his Fox Lake Police squad car in the parking lot of her workplace in Beaver Dam when she left for the night. When asked about it, Lynch claimed he was waiting to give a relative a ride.

When she started working at a bank in Beaver Dam, she reported Lynch would come into the bank and wait to go through her line, even if other tellers were open. When he got to her station, he would just stare at her.

After a few years, she started working at a different bank in Beaver Dam. She reported Lynch started showing up at that bank. She reported he had an account at the bank, before she started working there, but had always gone to another branch. She reported she would ask her co-workers to complete his transactions for her.

She also reported seeing Lynch drive past her Beaver Dam home in his Fox Lake squad car multiple times.

The second count of stalking is related to an incident that resulted in his suspension from the police force for four days.

The incident occurred in February 2007, when Lynch and another man scuffled at his ex-wife's apartment. The man reported that he dated Lynch's ex-wife from 2004 to 2007. He reported that Lynch followed him around town and when he came to intersections, Lynch would maneuver his car so the man had difficulty proceeding through the intersections.

He also reported that when he would leave his home for work at around 5 a.m., Lynch would exit an apartment nearby. He reported he would see Lynch drive by his place of employment in Fox Lake several times a day in his marked squad car and when the man left work, he would see Lynch in his squad car throughout his drive home.

The man also claims in 2005, he and Lynch got into an argument in a bar in Fox Lake. He said Lynch accused the man of being with his ex-wife, despite Lynch and his wife having divorced eight years prior.

In the 2007 incident, the man reported Lynch arrived at his ex-wife's apartment and hit him in the face. The man said Lynch continued hitting him until he fell to the ground, where Lynch kicked him in the head. The man who reported the incident was charged with disorderly conduct.

The final complaint of stalking was from a former employee of the Fox Lake Police Department.

She reported after she left the police department, she went to work at another business in Fox Lake. She said Lynch was acquainted with her and knew her husband well. She separated from her husband after she left employment with the police department.

She said after she moved, she would see Lynch up to 10 times a day. When she was at work and her supervisor was gone, Lynch would come in and try to talk to her.

She reported she developed a code word, so other employees would come to where she was and she wouldn't be left alone with Lynch.

She said when she left to run errands or go home, Lynch would follow her in his private vehicle. She said he would call her at work and often at her home.

She stated in spring of 2005, Lynch called her from a city of Fox Lake telephone line and then showed up uninvited at her home with a cooler of beer. He appeared to be intoxicated.

She also said he would show up at her house on a motorcycle and would tell her he was taking her for a ride.

She said the last time he showed up was on Mother's Day and her son witnessed unwanted contact by Lynch.

The woman said she didn't tell Lynch to stop following her, because she was afraid he would harm her.

If convicted on all four counts, Lynch could face up to 30 years in prison and fines of up to $10,000.