Try 1 month for 99¢

Hello friends,

This week there is a ton to write about, so here goes. First and most important, my very good friends Peter and Elizabeth Hagedorn have sold Chimo Lodge and Outposts. For the last 60 days, I have received dozens of phone calls and emails asking me if the Hagedorns are OK, and if the new owner is cool.

The Hagedorns are in excellent health and after having walked this earth for over 165 years between the two of them, they decided to sell when an offer was made.

Second, Chris LeBlanc of Red Lake, Ontario, and a group of people have purchased all of Chimo, and from what I see this will be an excellent fit with Superior Airways, which they already owned. I spent about six hours around Chris, and myself, as well as everyone in our gang, honestly feel that he is doing everything that he can do to be an excellent camp owner and host.

Saturday, June 16

High 74, low 48

We fly by float plane to Shultz Lake on a Saturday and are the only people on the entire body of water until we leave the following Saturday.

There were eight of us. My brother Tom is up from Denham Springs,

Louisiana with his 8-year-old grandson Landon Woodruff. Tom’s neighbor and good friend Bob “Bobco” Pearson made the 1,700-mile drive as well. Bobco shares a deer camp with Tom, which I go to, and we love giving each other a hard time.

My brother Mike and our family’s long-time friend Gary Gray, as well as Dick Schuster and his son Trent (my brother in law and nephew) rounded out our gang.

Bottom line, we fished hard, ate well and stayed up late.

Today was Day 1, and there were some significant factors. There was a minnow hatch, which had emerald shiners hanging out by our dock by the hundreds. They were awesome bait if you could catch them.

Another big deal was that the water was just about as low as I have ever seen it, and that makes boat travel difficult at times.

To start the day, Trent and I had agreed to take a boat through a pretty dry creek to another lake, as the boat that should have been on the lake we were headed to was missing. This job was extremely physical at times, as we literally had to grunt, groan and carry the boat and motor on very slippery rocks.

When we got to our destination, we motored to our portage trail and picked up Dick Schuster, and an incredible day of walleye fishing began with at least 40 walleyes between 19 and 25½ inches being caught.

Dick kicked my butt, catching the most, and the biggest fish, and loved verbally abusing me. We laughed a lot.

Sunday, June 17

High 76, low 51

It was Fathers Day and my daughter Selina wasn’t with us on this trip. This was a tough pill to swallow for me. Selina was chosen for Badger Girls State and would spend six days at UW-Oshkosh instead. I am proud of her.

Today I was on the same lake as yesterday, and we found the missing boat, so today I would fish with Bobco, and Mike and Gary would fish in the other boat after Bobco and I rescued it.

Bobco and I had a problem. The rescue motor did not want to idle, so we improvised, which meant we drifted and used night crawler harnesses. This tactic was a blast, and we were catching lots of 22- to 26-inch walleye. Bobco caught the 26-incher, which would be the biggest walleye until Day 6.

When Mike and Gary motored up to us, Gary had caught a 42-inch northern pike with a Little Cleo. I caught a 38¾-incher and most years that would be a winner, but not today.

Monday, June 18

High 79, low 54

My brother Bob would have been the same age as me for two weeks as of today. Bob passed away last October. Rest in peace brother!

Today I fished with brother Tom and great nephew Landon. This is Landon’s first Canadian adventure, and to tell the truth, on this day he would have rather been at the dock catching minnows, which he sells to us at a rate of a buck a dozen.

Through luck and good fishing, Landon landed a 22-inch walleye when all he was doing was dragging a lead head jig as we drifted. I told him to shoot for catching five, and a bit later he had caught five beautiful walleye. At day’s end, Landon had caught 17 in this very simple manner, and then we headed back to the trail head, the boat on the other end and then camp.

Tonight back at camp, Trent cooked baked walleye marinated in Italian seasoning. We stayed up very late and we were always laughing.

Hats off to the Hagedorns and good luck to the LeBlancs!