For the first 45 minutes of the game, Mauston hung right in there with Reedsburg. But a 15-minute stretch to open the second half turned the game into a blowout.

The Beavers (2-1-0) tacked on four goals in 15 minutes on their way to a 5-0 shutout win over the Golden Eagles (1-2-1) Tuesday, April 9 in Reedsburg.

Though Reedsburg controlled possession for the most part in the first half, it didn’t translate to goals or a ton of great scoring opportunities. However, the Beavers did finally get on the board at 28:42 in the first half courtesy of an unassisted goal by freshman Cassidy Klitzke.

Nevertheless, Mauston only trailed 1-0 heading into halftime. That changed quickly at the start of the second half.

Just 59 seconds into the second half, the Beavers scored again thanks to a goal by senior Emma Lichte off a corner kick with the assist going to senior Julia Korklewski. Five minutes later, Korklewski added an unassisted goal of her own to make it a 3-0 game.

At 57:25, Klitzke added her second unassisted goal of the game. At 60:57, sophomore Delaney Horkan rounded out the evening’s scoring with a goal assisted by junior Ciara Grundahl.

Following a first half that featured plenty of possession but limited aggression and quality scoring chances, Reedsburg head coach Erica Gronley was thrilled with the improvements her team made in the early portion of the second half to make the game a runaway.

“What we talked about at halftime was that we possessed the ball very well, but we were being selfish with our shots and so we needed to actually look to shoot a little differently and use each other more,” Gronley said. “Cross the ball in and go to the far post. Their goalie was very good, so everything we shot at her she stopped. And I think they took it to heart.”

As for the Golden Eagles, they went back to playing better over the final 30 minutes of the game. But the opening flurry to start the second half doomed any hope of a positive result in the match.

Mauston head coach Greg Rowe thought his team was knocked back on its heels and had its spirits dampened by the early second-half scores.

“We had about a 15-minute spell where everything kind of fell apart,” he said. “When we saw the first one go in on the corner kick, I think that took the wind out of our sails. We talked at halftime about how we were happy with the type of shots we were forcing and where they were coming from. When that one went in — we knew we were only going to generate maybe one or two chances, so when that one went in you could see it deflate us a bit.

“After that, we closed out with 30 minutes of filtering shots again the way we wanted so they weren’t able to get the same kind of looks. But that 15-minute spell definitely felt like a barrage.”

Follow Zach Rastall on Twitter @zrastall17 or contact him at 608-697-7943.

Regional Sports Reporter

Regional Sports Reporter

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

We welcome reader interaction. What are your questions about this article? Do you have an idea to share? Please stick to the topic and maintain a respectful attitude toward other participants. (You can help: Use the 'Report' link to let us know of off-topic or offensive posts.)